Sunday 11 December 2016

Family 'ecstatic' about abducted girl's return

Charlotte McCathie in London

Published 15/02/2010 | 05:00

The family of a six-year-old girl who was abducted by her father said they were ecstatic yesterday following her return home after more than two years in hiding in Libya.

  • Go To

Nadia Fawzi was snatched from her home in Wigan in the UK by her father, Fawzi Abuarghub, in May 2007.

Her distraught mother Sarah Taylor (34) moved to the north African country in a bid to find her little girl.

Mr Abuarghub refused to disclose Nadia's whereabouts when he was arrested by the Libyan authorities.

But mother and daughter were finally reunited in Tripoli in December last year when she was found by British embassy staff.

Ms Taylor and Nadia returned to the UK yesterday.

Nadia's grandmother, Dot Taylor, said: "The family are ecstatic to have her back. Now we just want to spend some time together alone as a family."

Ms Taylor's campaign was supported by her MP, British Health Secretary Andy Burnham. Mr Burnham met Ms Taylor and her daughter at Manchester Airport on their return.

He said: "Sarah has been travelling alone on the hardest road imaginable for any mother but she is back home tonight and her nightmare is over.

Ms Taylor's ex-husband had abducted Nadia, while he still lived in the UK, under the pretence he was taking her to a party.

He then boarded a plane with her to his home country, in defiance of a British court's custody ruling.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News