FA official claims phone was hacked
A FORMER football executive who knew sensitive information about England players and managers has launched legal action over allegations that his phone was illegally hacked by a private investigator working for Britain's biggest-selling newspaper.
David Davies, a Football Association veteran who had three stints as acting chief executive of the game's governing body, confirmed he had begun High Court proceedings to force police to disclose information about the alleged interception of his messages by Glen Mulcaire for the 'News of the World'.
Scotland Yard told the former 'Grandstand' presenter last year that his details were among those of dozens of public figures found in a dawn raid on Mulcaire's house five years ago, but had subsequently refused to divulge the material.
Mr Davies, who would have known much about scandal and intrigue in the English team, expects to be told the extent of the hacking within weeks. He will then decide whether to launch a claim for damages against Rupert Murdoch's News International newspaper group, which owns the Sunday red-top tabloid.
Speaking to the press yesterday, Mr Davies said he understood his phone was allegedly hacked during 2005 and 2006, which would have been under Andy Coulson's editorship.
In 2005, Mr Davies was at the top of the English football world as acting chief executive of the FA. (© Independent News Service)