Friday 20 October 2017

Euro 2016 terror alert after man found with arsenal

'The 25-year-old, who had links to far-right groups, told police he was planning to use the weapons in possible attacks on synagogues or mosques, according to French media reports' Stock photo: PA Wire
'The 25-year-old, who had links to far-right groups, told police he was planning to use the weapons in possible attacks on synagogues or mosques, according to French media reports' Stock photo: PA Wire

Rory Mulholland

Security fears over the Euro 2016 football championships have been heightened after a Frenchman was arrested in Ukraine with a massive arsenal he was reportedly planning to use in attacks in France.

The man, named by media as Gregoire M, had three rocket launchers, about 100 detonators, more than 100kg of TNT explosives, and half a dozen Kalashnikov assault rifles in his vehicle when he was detained after trying to cross the border into Poland.

The 25-year-old, who had links to far-right groups, told police he was planning to use the weapons in possible attacks on synagogues or mosques, according to French media reports. He was apparently not planning to target any Euro 2016 events, but the weapons seizure is expected to add to anxieties over the championships that begin on Friday amid fears of attacks by Isil terrorists.

The man, who is being held by Ukrainian authorities pending a possible extradition request from Paris, was arrested on May 21 but reports of his detention only emerged this weekend.

French police last week raided the suspect's home in eastern France and found materials that could be used to make bombs as well as a T-shirt with the insignia of a far-right group.

Telegraph.co.uk

Editors Choice

Also in World News