Euro 2016: '150 hyper-violent' Russian Ultras escaped police and are preparing to ambush England again
Published 13/06/2016 | 12:02
A 16-YEAR-OLD England fan is one of six charged following the violence in Marseille on the opening weekend of the Euro 2016 football tournament, French prosecutors have confirmed.
A 50-year-old English fan is also in a critical condition with severe brain injuries after being attacked by Russia supporters armed with iron bars.
But despite the behaviour of the Russian fans, who fought running battles in the streets and also charged at England fans in the Stade Velodrome after Saturday night's 1-1 opening draw, no Russians have been arrested over the violence.
Brice Robin, chief Marseille prosecutor, told reporters the British teenager was in custody and that he had personally spoken to tournament organisers Uefa to have his future tickets cancelled.
He said about 150 Russian hooligans had been involved in the trouble, describing them as "hyper violent" and "hyper rapid". But he said just two Russian fans had been arrested, both for a pitch invasion.
The prosecutor said he did not think the Russian hooligans were "professional" but they "were extreme".
"I don't want to go as far as to suggest these are professionals but they are extreme and well-trained," Mr Robin told the media, as he reacted with shock to the ferocity of the Russian attacks.
There were 12,000 Russian fans in Marseille who travelled to the city by train, he said.
Uefa has warned England they face disqualification from the tournament if the widespread violence is repeated.
The governing body branded the behaviour of both England and Russia fans before and after their 1-1 draw ''unacceptable'' and said it would not hesitate to impose additional sanctions.
It also opened disciplinary proceedings against the Russian Football Union for alleged crowd disturbances, racist behaviour and the setting-off of fireworks by its fans during the game on Saturday night.