Driver accused of hit-and-run rampage faces one charge of murder, 13 of attempted murder
A DRIVER accused of mowing down pedestrians in a hit-and-run van rampage has appeared in court accused of murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.
Matthew Tvrdon, 31, was led into Cardiff Magistrates' Court with his hands cuffed behind his back.
He is accused of deliberately running down parents and young children in the Ely and Leckwith areas of Cardiff on Friday afternoon.
Mother-of-three Karina Menzies died and several children were injured in the rampage. He will appear at Newport Crown Court tomorrow.
Tvrdon looked relaxed as he was released from his handcuffs and brought into the courtroom.
Unshaven and wearing a black jumper, he was asked to confirm that he was of no fixed address.
"Unfortunately, at the moment I was between moving out," he told the court in a calm voice.
Tvrdon spoke with a soft Cardiff accent as he confirmed his date of birth as November 13 1980.
Catrin Evans, prosecuting, said Tvrdon is charged with murder, 13 counts of attempted murder, four counts of actual bodily harm and one of dangerous driving.
"They should be sent to the Crown Court along with the dangerous driving, which was the first incident that occurred."
She said he would appear at Newport Crown Court at 10am tomorrow via video-link.
She argued against granting him bail and said there had been "concerns" about his mental health.
She said that since his arrest he had been to the Caswell Clinic in Bridgend for psychological assessment.
District Judge Bodfan Jenkins remanded Tvrdon in custody until the Newport Crown Court hearing tomorrow.
Tvrdon left court with his head bowed but remained relaxed and seemingly unaffected by his appearance at the brief hearing.