Monday 24 October 2016

Doctor pushes ahead in case against Chelsea FC

David Mercer

Published 07/01/2016 | 02:30

Eva Carneiro. Photo: PA
Eva Carneiro. Photo: PA

Former Chelsea FC team doctor Eva Carneiro will continue her legal battle against the Premier League club after failing to reach a settlement at the first hearing in her constructive dismissal case.

  • Go To

Carneiro (42) was joined by her husband, the polar explorer Jason De Carteret, at London South Employment Tribunal in Croydon for a private preliminary hearing before an employment judge.

She is claiming constructive dismissal after she was dropped from first-team duties and later parted company with the club following criticism from then-manager Jose Mourinho.

Carneiro and first-team physio Jon Fearn were branded "impulsive and naive" by Mourinho after they ran on to the pitch to treat star player Eden Hazard on the opening day of the season, leaving Chelsea temporarily down to nine men against Swansea.

Following the three-hour hearing, Mary O'Rourke QC, representing Carneiro, said no settlement had been reached and a date had been fixed for the next hearing.

Carneiro made no comment as she left the tribunal holding hands with her husband. The couple were surrounded by photographers and cameramen as they entered a waiting taxi which mounted the pavement as it sped off.

A date for the full tribunal is expected for some time in June but a court spokesman refused to reveal a date for the next hearing.

"It was a private hearing and what happened in the hearing is a private matter," the spokesman said.

The hearing was expected to fix the timetable for the case, and deal with witness statements and disclosure of documents - including texts and emails - by each side, as well as any legal procedural disputes that currently exist between the two parties.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News