Thursday 30 October 2014

Dave Lee Travis taken off air after his arrest by Savile probe police

Robert Dex

Published 16/11/2012 | 12:24

DJ Dave Lee Travis has been taken "off air with immediate effect" by radio station Magic AM after his arrest yesterday.

Travis, who was arrested by officers investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, presents a weekend show on the station.

A spokeswoman for Bauer Media which owns Magic AM said: "Following the arrest and release on police bail of Dave Lee Travis, Bauer Media has decided to take him off air with immediate effect from his Magic AM weekend shows, which broadcast across the north of England.

"We understand that the allegations about which he was questioned by police pre-date his time as a freelance contributor to Magic AM.

"While we can make no judgment on the matters under investigation, we believe it would be inappropriate for him to broadcast until they are resolved."

The former Radio 1 star, from Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, was held at 7.45am yesterday on suspicion of sexual offences and bailed later to return on a date in early January.

Police said the allegations do not directly involve Savile, and are classed under the strand of their investigation termed "others".

The latest arrest came as the Metropolitan Police revealed they are now dealing with around 450 potential victims, the majority of whom claim they fell prey to Savile.

This has risen from around 300 possible victims the force said they were dealing with last month.

Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.

Most of the "others" allegations have been made against people associated with the entertainment industry.

Ex-glam rocker Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr and a 73-year-old man have already been arrested and bailed in connection with the investigation.

A 1977 episode of Top Of The Pops featuring Travis was due to be shown on BBC4 last night but was pulled.

Last month Travis vigorously denied allegations that he groped two women while in BBC studios.

One alleged he had put his hand up her skirt, while the other said he had "jiggled" her breasts.

The former judge leading the BBC inquiry into the Savile scandal has launched an appeal for witnesses.

Dame Janet Smith, who is reviewing the corporation's practices during the Savile years, called on potential victims, witnesses, people who worked with the TV presenter and senior staff at the time to assist the investigation.

According to the inquiry's website, the review also wants to hear from people "who were familiar with the culture or practices of the BBC" in terms of "preventing or enabling the sexual abuse of children, young people or teenagers".

In addition, the Department of Health is investigating its own conduct after appointing Savile to head a taskforce at Broadmoor high-security hospital in 1988.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News