Convicted murderer on the run for over two-and-a-half years back behind bars
A convicted murderer who spent more than two-and-a-half years on the run is back behind bars after walking out of an open prison.
Derek Passmore, 50, failed to return to Category D HMP Ford in West Sussex after being released on temporary licence on June 22, 2013.
He had been sentenced to life imprisonment in 1997 for murdering an acquaintance in Hampton, Middlesex, in October 1996.
Sussex Police said he was arrested in Hove, East Sussex, on Christmas Eve and has now been detained at Category B HMP Lewes.
He will serve the remainder of his original sentence and also be sentenced for failing to return to HMP Ford, a police spokesman said.
Pc Lewis Dines, of Sussex Police, said: "A significant amount of work involving teams in Sussex and colleagues in the Metropolitan Police Service was undertaken, but he maintained a low profile and remained evasive.
"However, we recently received information about his whereabouts, which led to his successful and uneventful recapture in the Hove area on Thursday."