Europe

Wednesday 20 August 2014

Concordia captain facing 20 years as plea likely to fail

Michael Day Milan

Published 18/07/2013 | 04:00

  • Share
Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship
Dancer Domnica Cemortan said she was with captain Francesco Schettino at the time of the accident

Lawyers for Francesco Schettino, captain of the stricken Costa Concordia cruise liner, have launched a last-ditch attempt to secure a plea bargain as he appeared in court for the start of his trial on charges related to the disaster that killed 32 people.

  • Share
  • Go To

Mr Schettino faces up to 20 years in prison if he is convicted of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before his passengers, after crashing the vessel into rocks close to the shore of Giglio, an island off the Tuscan coast, in 2012.

As the trial began yesterday, the chances of Mr Schettino's plea bargain – which asks that he serve three years and five months – being accepted appeared remote.

Prosecutors have already rejected a previous deal with 52-year-old Mr Schettino.

The prosecution told the court: "That Schettino is guilty, is not in doubt. The only thing left to determine is how long his sentence will be."

Plea bargains have been accepted, however, from the five other officials indicted – four ship's officers and the crisis co-ordinator of the vessel's owners, Costa Cruises.

REPUTATION

The Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, whom the captain was entertaining on the bridge when the liner crashed, appeared in court yesterday to offer moral support to Mr Schettino.

Ms Cemortan (26), a former hostess with Costa Cruises, is demanding "between €200,000 and €300,000" from the company for the damage to her reputation after it became known that Mr Schettino, who is married with young children, had wined and dined her aboard the Concordia. She is also challenging the company's refusal to hire her again.

Ms Cemortan, who has previously said that Mr Schettino's actions had helped save many lives, told reporters: "Schettino is not the only one responsible. I want the truth to come out." The main arguments in the trial are expected to begin this week.

Mr Schettino says his reaction to the crash prevented much greater loss of life, despite the prosecution claiming the accused had steered the giant vessel "like a canoe".

Mr Schettino insists his premature departure from the scene of the accident occurred because he fell into a lifeboat and was unable to get out again.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News