Tuesday 24 January 2017

Charles and Camillia warned: ‘You might have been hacked’

VICTORIA WARD, TOM CHIVERS and JAMES KIRKUP

Published 11/07/2011 | 12:33

Rebekah Brooks and Rupert Murdoch pictured outside Mr Murdoch's London flat

The News of the World was buying contact details for the Royal family from a Royal protection police officer, it emerged today.

  • Go To

And it was also revealed that both Prince Charles and Camilla were warned that their mobile phones may have been hacked.

Such revelations makes it "inconceivable" that Rupert Murdoch’s bid for BskyB should go ahead, Labour leader Ed Milliband said.

Calling again on News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks to resign, Mr Milliband agreed with British Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg that the bid was “completely untenable”.

BBC journalist Robert Peston today revealed that the emails found by the NOTW in 2007, but only passed to police recently, provided evidence that the newspaper was buying contact details of the Royal family and their friends from a police officer assigned to protect them.

The revelation that the security of the British State was being compromised is set to spark new shockwaves as the scandal refuses to go away.

When the newer management of the NOTW became aware of what was in the emails they immediately passed them over to police.

Commentators said that that the development shed new light on the behavior of executives of a so-called reputable newspaper.

The parents and sister of murdered teenager Milly Dowler met Nick Clegg today to discuss the phone hacking scandal.

Her mother Sally, who was given false hope that she was alive when NOTW deleted messages to make room in the missing teenager’s inbox, said: “We just want all the party leaders to listen to what those of us who have experienced this scandal first-hand have to say.”

The meeting came just 24-hours after Rupert Murdoch flew into London to meet his embattled New International chief executive Rebekah Brooks. He has given her his full support.

News International executives are facing demands to appear before MPs to answer allegations that they suppressed evidence of widespread illegal activity at the News of the World.

The company is under mounting scrutiny following revelations that an internal inquiry in 2007 gathered ‘‘smoking gun’’ emails showing that several of its journalists were hacking mobile phones and making payments to police officers.

The evidence was only passed to the police last month, four years after it was collected. During that time, James Murdoch, European chief executive of News International, personally authorised at least one substantial settlement payment to a victim of phone hacking, in exchange for signing a gagging clause.

That has led MPs to accuse News International of a “cover-up on a massive scale” and of misleading Parliament. The latest twist in the scandal that forced the closure of the News of the World left Mr Murdoch and his allies fighting to prevent the affair doing further damage to the wider Murdoch media empire.

Despite the damage-limitation exercise, political pressure on the company continued to mount yesterday.

In another blow to Mr Murdoch, there were signs that David Cameron, under pressure from Labour and his Liberal Democrat partners, is preparing to sanction a new and potentially damaging delay in News Corporation’s bid to take over British Sky Broadcasting. News Corp is News International’s parent

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News