Saturday 10 December 2016

Brussels attacks: Seven terrorists 'still on the loose' as Salah Abdeslam says he 'knew nothing' of bombings

Published 24/03/2016 | 08:48

This CCTV image from the Brussels Airport surveillance cameras made available by Belgian Police, shows what officials believe may be suspects in the Brussels airport attack on March 22, 2016
This CCTV image from the Brussels Airport surveillance cameras made available by Belgian Police, shows what officials believe may be suspects in the Brussels airport attack on March 22, 2016
Khalid (L) and Ibrahim (R) El Bakraoui Photo: AFP/Getty Images

A second bomber involved in the deadly Brussels terror attacks may be on the run, according to reports.

  • Go To

Authorities are already searching for a suspected killer dubbed the "man in white" who was pictured at the Belgian capital's Zaventem Airport moments before twin explosions ripped through the building.

Khalid (L) and Ibrahim (R) El Bakraoui Photo: AFP/Getty Images
Khalid (L) and Ibrahim (R) El Bakraoui Photo: AFP/Getty Images

But another man suspected of being involved in the subsequent bomb attack on Maelbeek metro station may also be at large, according to state broadcaster RTBF and France's Le Monde newspaper.

Read More: Brussels attacks: 'World's most wanted' Laachraoui blew himself up, officials confirm

They claim that the man was caught on CCTV carrying a large bag and walking with Khalid El Bakraoui, who prosecutors believe carried out the suicide attack on a commuter train.

Read more: Brussels attacks: 'Turkey deported suicide bomber last year and warned authorities he was a militant'

His brother Ibrahim El Bakraoui, who is also known as Brahim, blew himself up at the airport at 8am local time, along with Najim Laachraoui, 24, who on Wednesday was revealed to be the suspected bomb maker in November's Paris terror attacks.

RTBF reported: "According to our sources, there was a second man in the suicide attack in the metro.

"We already knew that Khalid El Bakraoui blew himself up in the metro at Maelbeek station. RTBF has learnt this morning that another man is suspected of having taken part in the deadly attack.

"He was spotted on security cameras carrying a large bag. His identity isn't known at the moment. Did he die or is he on the run? The question remains open."

Read More: 'When they gave out bullet proof vests, I knew it was serious', say Irishmen caught up in Brussels horror

Meanwhile, Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in November's Paris attacks, was not aware of the plan to attack Brussels airport and metro, according to his lawyer.

The multiple bombings in Brussels on Tuesday, which killed at least 31 people and wounded 300, were carried out by men linked to Abdeslam, according to prosecutors.

Abdeslam was arrested last Friday, three days before the attacks.

"He was not aware," several Belgian media outlets quoted Sven Mary as saying on Thursday

Prosecutors said at least 31 people were killed and 270 injured in the three suicide bomb attacks in Brussels on Tuesday morning, and the death toll could rise.

As the manhunt continues, Home Secretary Theresa May is expected to join counterparts from the European Union in Brussels for an emergency meeting on Thursday.

The meeting of justice and security ministers is "intended to show solidarity with Belgium, discuss the actual state of play in the fight against terrorism and pursue swift completion and implementation of legislation", the EU said.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News