Thursday 19 October 2017

'We never talked properly about Diana's death,' admit princes

Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry in a still from the video. Photo: PA
Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry in a still from the video. Photo: PA

Patrick Sawer London

Britain's Princes William and Harry have admitted they failed to talk to each other enough about the death of their mother and that not doing so only made matters worse.

Speaking candidly about the trauma they endured as children when their mother Diana, Princess of Wales, was killed in a car crash in Paris, the princes urged people to be more open with their emotions.

William and Harry acknowledged in a video with William's wife Kate, released yesterday as part of their campaign to tackle mental health, that they had bottled up their feelings about Diana's death in 1997 rather than sharing them.

In the video for their charity Heads Together, Prince William states: "We've been brought closer because of the circumstances. We know we are uniquely bonded because of what we've been through, but even Harry and I over the years have not talked enough about our mother."

At this point Prince Harry interjects: "No, never enough," before adding: "I always thought to myself 'what's the point of bringing up the past, what's the point of bringing up something that's only going to make you sad? It ain't going to change it. It ain't going to bring her back'." But Prince Harry goes on to say that he had been wrong and that this attitude had only hindered his ability to cope with what had happened. "When you think like that it can be really damaging," he said.

In a six-and-a-half minute video, filmed on Wednesday outside their home in Kensington Palace, the three young royals reflected on the Heads Together campaign they have worked on for nearly a year. They each spoke of their motivations for taking part in the mental health drive, with Kate reflecting on motherhood, William on his experience of male suicide through his work as an air ambulance pilot, and Harry on veterans.

On Monday, Prince Harry revealed in an interview with the 'Daily Telegraph', that he had sought counselling after failing to properly address his grief over his mother's death. He told how he had endured two years of "total chaos" after burying his head in the sand, and later said he felt he was "just doing my bit" by opening up. (© Daily Telegraph London)

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News