Teen girls jailed for sinister kidnap of baby from Primark
Two teenage girls have been jailed for kidnapping a toddler from a Primark store after the judge was told of troubling internet searches about rape and exploitation found on a tablet computer.
The younger of the defendants, who are just 13 and 14, had been groomed by an unknown man and swapped sexual messages on the chat site ooVoo, Newcastle Crown Court in England heard.
Both of the accused had claimed that they abducted the two-year-old on April 13 from the store in Newcastle following pressure from a male third party.
But police found no evidence of anyone else being involved in the kidnap, which resulted in no harm to the little girl.
The judge sentenced the two teenagers to three years and three months' detention in a youth centre.
The girls had already tried to entice another two-year-old from her mother in the same shop that day.
After they had successfully grabbed the other child, CCTV captured the toddler walking out of Primark, holding hands with the older girl.
On the Metro system, they travelled to Gosforth, where a police officer tracked the group down to a park.
The little girl was reunited with her mother after two hours following a major search across the city.
After the girls were arrested, the younger girl's tablet was analysed, Ms Barlow said.
Of 1,185 internet searches made since she got the device for Christmas, 402 were of a pornographic nature.
Julie Clemitson, defending the younger girl, said her client had been sexually exploited, adding: "She is a damaged, vulnerable young girl."
Andrew Walker, for the older defendant, said a man she referred to as "Nazzer" told them to take a child and she claimed he was with them on the day the toddler was taken.
Extensive checks of hours of CCTV showed that was a lie, the court heard. Police were convinced they acted alone.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie