Sunday 4 December 2016

Sea searches for missing boys and man scaled back

Published 08/08/2016 | 13:56

A rescue helicopter searches over Barmouth as two boys and a man are missing in the sea off the Welsh coast in separate incidents
A rescue helicopter searches over Barmouth as two boys and a man are missing in the sea off the Welsh coast in separate incidents
RNLI lifeboat and a rescue helicopter searching Barmouth Beach as two boys and a man are feared dead after they went missing off the Welsh coast in separate incidents

Searches for two teenagers and a man feared drowned off the coast of West Wales have been scaled back, rescuers have said.

  • Go To

On Monday morning, RNLI teams resumed searches for two boys, aged 14 and 15, who went missing after getting into difficulty while swimming off Barmouth Beach.

And in a separate incident, rescuers were also out again looking for a man who was swept off rocks and into the sea in Mwnt, Cardigan Bay.

A spokeswoman confirmed that RNLI boats helping with the two rescue attempts have now been told to stand down by the Coastguard.

RNLI lifeboat and a rescue helicopter searching Barmouth Beach as two boys and a man are feared dead after they went missing off the Welsh coast in separate incidents
RNLI lifeboat and a rescue helicopter searching Barmouth Beach as two boys and a man are feared dead after they went missing off the Welsh coast in separate incidents

She said: "The volunteer lifeboat crews at both Barmouth RNLI and Cardigan RNLI will be ready to launch the lifeboats again if requested by HM Coastguard."

The two incidents happened on Sunday afternoon just 20 minutes apart - and during strong winds and "choppy" waters.

Emergency services were first contacted about the missing teenagers at around 1.40pm.

The pair, believed to be from the Birmingham area, had been part of a large group visiting the West Wales beauty spot.

Then at around 2pm, a fresh 999 call was made after a man cut off by the tide was swept into the sea.

Searches carried on for another seven hours, but stopped once darkness fell before restarting again early on Monday.

A spokeswoman for HM Coastguard said the search had been scaled back because of the high tide.

She said rescue crews were expected to be re-deployed on Monday evening when the tide is low.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News