Saturday 19 August 2017

People take to social media to offer accommodation and food to victims of Manchester 'terror attack'

Shocked concert-goers console one another after the blast. Photo: PA
Shocked concert-goers console one another after the blast. Photo: PA

Kathy Armstrong

After a deadly blast killed at least 22 people and injured 59 others in Manchester last night, people have rallied together to help the victims.

The public took to social media to offer their support to those caught up in the "terror attack" that happened at the end of US popstar Ariana Grande's concert at the Manchester Arena.

Soon after the news broke #roomformanchester started trending on Twitter and Facebook as people offered those affected somewhere to stay, food, phones and other comforts.

They also shared pictures of a peace sign intertwined with Grande's characteristic bunny ears logo.

Tweeting in the early hours of Tuesday, Grande (23) said: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."

Read More: 'Huge bomb-like bang': young concert goers describe terror at end of gig

Meanwhile Grande's management team, Scooter Braun Projects, said they had been left heartbroken by the incident and praised the actions of Manchester's emergency services.

They said in a statement: "Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack.

An injured woman is helped out of the Manchester Arena after last night’s blast at a gig by Ariana Grande, which left 19 dead
Police escort members of the public from the Manchester Arena on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)
Police stand by a cordoned off street close to the Manchester Arena. Photo: Dave Thompson/Getty Images
Two women wrapped in thermal blankets stand near the Manchester Arena. Photo: Reuters
Concert goers react after fleeing the Manchester Arena after the explosion.
Concert goers wait to be picked up at the scene of a suspected terrorist attack during a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in Manchester
A tweet from U.S. singer Ariana Grande is seen as she makes her first comment since a bombing at her concert in Manchester
Armed police man roadblocks outside the arena after reports of an explosion at the venue during an Ariana Grande gig. Photo: PA
A police officer escorts people near the Manchester Arena
Police escort members of the public from the Manchester Arena on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)
People running down stairs as they attempt to exit the Manchester Arena after a blast
Police corden off an area close to the Box Office entrance to the Manchester Arena. Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images
Emergency services at the scene. Photo: PA
A police officer talks to locals outside the Manchester Arena. Photo: Reuters
Armed police officers stand outside the Manchester Arena. Photo: Reuters
An armoured police Land Rover drives away from the Manchester Arena on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England (Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images)
People sit by the side of the road next to a police cordon outside the Manchester Arena. Photo: Reuters
Still image taken from video shows a street scene near Manchester Arena after the blast
Armed police block a road near to the Manchester Arena

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act.

"We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed toward danger to help save lives.

"We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers."

Read More: 'I am not aware of any Irish citizens affected by Manchester blast' - Foreign Affairs Minister

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News