Monday 24 July 2017

Mother found dead two weeks after her son (8) died in a house fire

Lucas and Kelly-Anne Carter Photo: Facebook
Lucas and Kelly-Anne Carter Photo: Facebook
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

The mother of an eight-year-old boy who was killed in a house fire has been found dead less than two weeks after the blaze.

Lucas Carter died in hospital after being rescued from the fire at his home in Sandbach, Cheshire, on Sunday October 30.

His mother, Kelly-Anne Carter, was found dead at her partner's home on Saturday.

A statement on the website of Offley Primary School, where Lucas was a pupil, said: "It is with profound shock and deep sadness that we learn of the death of Lucas Carter's mum Kelly-Anne at her partner's home on Saturday.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and partner Andy.

"Lucas died in tragic circumstances on October 30th 2016 and his funeral is due to take place at St Mary's church on Friday.

"We now learn that Kelly-Anne has also died, making this so much harder to bear for the family and all who knew them.

"This is a very difficult time for the family and for Offley Primary School as we try to comprehend what has happened and support the children, staff and the school community at this distressing time.

"Our school governor, the Rev Thomas Shepherd of St Mary's, is in contact with the family and, through him, the school has extended its sincere sympathies and condolences."

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 9.44am on Saturday November 12 police were notified of a sudden death at an address in Coleridge Close, Sandbach.

"A 35-year-old-woman was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

"There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and a file will now be prepared for the coroner."

Fire crews were called to the blaze on Platt Avenue at 2.52am on October 30 and found Miss Carter outside the property with serious burns.

She was described by onlookers as screaming, as the boy was left inside the burning house.

Firefighters rescued Lucas from the upstairs of the property.

He was treated by paramedics and firefighters at the scene before being taken to Leighton Hospital, Crewe, where he died shortly after 5am.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission confirmed it was investigating after it emerged police had been in contact with Miss Carter before the fire.

A spokesman said: "Following a referral from Cheshire Police, we are independently investigating contact police had with a woman and her eight-year-old son prior to the fatal fire."

Press Association

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News