Monday 5 December 2016

London Fire Brigade issue warning over faulty tumble dryers following large tower blaze

Published 26/08/2016 | 22:01

The fire broke our due to a faulty tumble dryer Photo: LFB
The fire broke our due to a faulty tumble dryer Photo: LFB

The London Fire Brigade is urging people to stop using faulty tumble dryers following a huge tower block blaze last week.

  • Go To

Fire investigators believe the blaze in Shepherd’s Bush, London, which ripped through the 18-storey building and took 120 firefighters to put out, was believed to be caused by a faulty tumble dryer that was subject to “corrective action” by the manufacturer.

“If my kitchen had one of the recalled goods in it, I would unplug it straight away until it had been checked and repaired. The speed with which the fire took hold shows how dangerous a faulty tumble dryer can be – that’s why we are calling for Whirlpool to urgently change their advice to consumers," The London fire commissioner Ron Dobson said.

“The flat’s occupants had a terrifying ordeal. The kitchen quickly became smoke-logged and thankfully they noticed the smoke and quickly left the flat and called the brigade.

“If your appliance is subject to a safety or recall notice or you think there is something wrong with it, our advice is simple – unplug it immediately and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.”

The tower blaze started Friday August 19 in the kitchen of a seventh-floor flat. Hundreds of residents were evacuated and over 100 firefighters were called to the scene to battle the blaze.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News