Sunday 20 August 2017

Hate crime doubles in Manchester following concert carnage

Tributes in St Ann's Square, Manchester, to remember the victims of the terror attack in the city earlier this week. Picture: PA
Tributes in St Ann's Square, Manchester, to remember the victims of the terror attack in the city earlier this week. Picture: PA

Jack Hardy

A spike in hate crime has hit Manchester in the wake of Monday's suicide bombing, Greater Manchester Police's chief constable said.

A total of 56 hate crimes were recorded by the force on Wednesday, representing a significant rise on the 28 reported on Monday, Ian Hopkins said.

The police chief urged the city to remain united after the assault on Manchester Arena left 22 people, including seven children, dead.

He said: "Whilst we can't directly link this to the events of Monday night, we are continuing to monitor the situation and support our communities."

Salman Abedi, a British-born Muslim from a Libyan family, launched his deadly assault on the pop concert having apparently been supported by an extremist terror cell.

It was feared that another attack on British soil from a suspected Islamist group would spark a backlash against the religious community in the city.

The chief constable continued: "Manchester has come together this week, the public has seen that, they have seen that compassion.

"But it is important that we continue to stand together here, in Greater Manchester.

"Particularly standing together against some of the hateful views that we have seen from a very small minority of the community that have no place here in Greater Manchester.

"Sadly, we've seen an increase in reports of hate crime from 28 on Monday, which is our normal average for a day, through to 56 on Wednesday."

He added: "I have sent a personal message out to all the faith leaders and places of worship today.

"I have thanked them for the support they have shown and stressed that hate crime will not be tolerated."

Meanwhile, Former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher will donate the proceeds from his forthcoming performance in Manchester to a fund supporting the victims of the suicide bomb attack.

All profits from Gallagher's Tuesday show at the O2 Ritz venue in Manchester will go to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, the singer's website said.

The fund, which was set up by the British Red Cross and Manchester City Council following the concert tragedy, has raised £4.1m (€4.7m) so far to help those injured or left bereaved by the attack, according to the Red Cross' website.

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News