Thursday 27 July 2017

Detectives investigating abduction of girl (12) say incident was 'made up'

Stock image PA
Stock image PA

Detectives investigating the apparent abduction of a 12-year-old girl have said the allegation was made up.

The youngster said she had been snatched by a gang of four men and forced into a black taxi as she walked home from school in Stourbridge on Thursday.

But West Midlands Police said an "extensive investigation" showed the claim was false.

A police spokesman said no charges had been brought in connection with the allegation, but the investigation was ongoing.

Detective Sergeant Matt Slattery said: "Incidents of child abduction are thankfully rare, but any reports of such are rigorously investigated and any bogus accounts will be quickly uncovered."

He added: "Detectives responded in the way people would expect when faced with a report of a child being abducted.

"However, as the inquiry progressed, it quickly became clear the incident had not happened in the way it was described to us.

"I know that this allegation caused fear among local residents and although the investigation continues and the girl is being supported, I want to stress that the public were never in any danger."

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News