Thursday 19 October 2017

BBC presenter's heartache as pet labradors die in the hot weather

Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter
Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter
Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter
Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter
BBC Antiques Roadshow presenter Katherine Higgins. Pic: Twitter

Sasha Brady

BBC Antiques Roadshow presenter, Katherine Higgins, has been left devastated after her two labradors died in the hot weather.

Katherine Higgins (50) is reported to have taken her dogs for a walk in Surrey with her husband Thomas on June 10.

Soon after arriving back at their home in the village of Godalming, the presenter's pets are said to have died from overheating.

Temperatures reached 21 degrees that day but it is unclear how the labradors, Daisy and Monty, fell ill.

BBC Antiques Roadshow presenter Katherine Higgins. Pic: Twitter
BBC Antiques Roadshow presenter Katherine Higgins. Pic: Twitter

Katherine, who contributes to the Antiques Roadshow as a vintage fashion expert, tweeted about the loss of her pets.

“Completely adored, totally faithful and eternally happy — we miss you RIP," she wrote.

Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter
Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter

The DSPCA warn that animals cannot tolerate extreme temperatures.

They advise pet owners to never leave their pets in the car during hot days, even for a short period of time.

Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter
Katherine Higgins' pets Monty and Daisy. Pic: Twitter

They also advise dog owners to be mindful of the signs of heatstroke.

"If your dog pants quickly, looks very tired or collapses, it could be suffering from heatstroke," the animal charity warns.

They recommend to keep dogs in a cool, shady spot and spray its body with water or give it a cool bath but it's important to never cool your dog so much that it begins to shiver.

DSPCA also warns to contact your vet if the conditions don't improve because heatstroke can be fatal.

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News