independent

Thursday 17 April 2014

Boy taken to hospital with burns after BlackBerry phone ‘explodes’ in his bedroom

AN 11-year-old boy suffered burns to his legs when a BlackBerry phone "exploded" in his bedroom.

Kian McCreath, from Coventry, was taken to hospital after his brother Mason's BlackBerry Curve 9320 reportedly erupted in flames and set his duvet alight.



The family is now calling for the mobile to be recalled from shops.



His mother Sarah, 39, said she unplugged the phone, which had been on charge, and put it on Kian's bed.



She said: "I thought nothing of it, made a cup of tea, then I heard a really loud 'pop' sound. Kian started screaming at the top of his voice, shouting 'My bed's on fire!'"



Research In Motion (RIM), which produces BlackBerry phones, said it has spoken to the family and is waiting for them to provide the products so they can investigate the incident further.



In a statement, RIM said: "RIM takes claims of this nature very seriously and a senior member of our team met with the family today to initiate a full investigation into this matter.



"In order to proceed with this investigation, we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review.



"At this point in time, the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself.



"We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us.



"RIM is committed to ensuring our products are safe and we invest significantly in R&D and testing to ensure we meet or exceed all regulatory standards here in the UK and around the world."



The phone was bought from a Vodafone store in Birmingham.



Vodafone declined to comment today on whether it would continue to offer the model for sale, but a spokeswoman said they would also be speaking to the boy's family and a replacement phone has been offered.



Birmingham City Council trading standards office also confirmed it had spoken to the family and is investigating the incident.

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News