Friday 26 December 2014

Boy (7) must have cancer op – despite objections from mother

Andrew Hough

Published 19/12/2012 | 05:00

Sally Roberts arriving for the High Court hearing in London. Photo: Reuters

THE boy at the centre of a legal row over life-saving cancer treatment must have more surgery to remove a brain tumour despite his mother's objections.

Seven-year-old Neon Roberts (below) will now have an operation to remove a tumour after doctors warned he would die within three months if treatment was denied, a London High Court judge said.

Mr Justice Bodey said that while he sympathised with the boy's mother Sally (37), he agreed with medical experts that surgery needed to be completed "extremely urgently".

His judgment came despite objections from Mrs Roberts, who ran away from her Devon home with her son earlier this month to prevent her son receiving radiotherapy treatment.

The judge said: "It is obvious to everyone that all operations carry risks and this is no exception. But putting aside all these risks, I am quite satisfied that surgery is in the best interests of the boy and I shall make a decision accordingly.

"Surgery must go ahead as soon as possible.''

The court was earlier told that Mrs Roberts did not "consent" to the treatment because she felt the medical advice was flawed and a second opinion was needed.

Preparations are now under way by doctors who are treating Neon. His parents will be at the hospital today.

The court heard that his mother is still trying to find "other" expert evidence which was different from the UK "gold standard".

Mrs Roberts yesterday dismissed her legal team and was poised to appoint Imran Khan, a well-known human rights lawyer.

Neither Mrs Roberts or her husband commented outside the court. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News