Tuesday 27 September 2016

Boy (7) in coma finally identified after his photo circulated on social media

Colleen Barry

Published 18/07/2016 | 02:30

Sixteen people killed remain unidentified, according to French authorities Picture: AP
Sixteen people killed remain unidentified, according to French authorities Picture: AP

A seven-year-old boy in a coma whose picture had been circulated on social media after no relatives stepped forward immediately after he was injured in the Nice lorry attack has finally been identified.

  • Go To

A seven-year-old boy in a coma whose picture had been circulated on social media after no relatives stepped forward immediately after he was injured in the Nice lorry attack has finally been identified.

The spokeswoman of Lenval children's hospital in Nice, Stephanie Simpson, said yesterday the boy was Romanian and had been visiting Nice with his parents, who remain missing.

Read More: Lives and families destroyed by hate

The boy's grandmother travelled from Germany to make the identification, after a relative in Nice reported the family missing.

The boy was among six children still in hospital after the attack, Ms Simpson said. She said the boy was on artificial respiration and had not undergone any surgery. Ms Simpson said "there is still hope he is going to wake up".

Sixteen people killed remain unidentified, according to French authorities. The French government said 84 people were killed and 202 injured in the attack on Thursday night, including many tourists from multiple countries.

An official working at a special victims' centre in Nice told reporters that 16 bodies remain unidentified, and forensic experts are working with DNA samples to determine their identities. Three students on a European study programme - an American, Ukrainian and Estonian - are still missing.

A communications officer at the Nice branch of the European Innovation Academy, Annie Seneard, said that among the missing is 20-year-old Nicolas Leslie, who was doing a stint at the EIA from the University of California at Berkeley.

He was among dozens of Berkeley students on the programme, and fellow students have posted fliers in Nice trying to find him.

The other programme participants still unaccounted for are 22-year-old Canada-based Ukrainian national Misha Bazelevsky and 21-year-old Estonian Rickard Kruusberg, Seneard said. A fourth missing student from the academy, 22-year-old Estonian Hans Joosep Lahe, has been located.

One person being treated in hospital remains unidentified.

A total of 85 people were last night still in hospital after the attack, with 18 in a critical condition.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News