News Europe

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Boy (16) ‘screamed for his life’ as he was killed by gang armed with swords

Martha Linden and Emma Clark

Published 28/01/2013 | 10:16

  • Share

A TEENAGER was heard screaming for his life before he was killed by a gang brandishing knives and wide swords, it has been claimed.

  • Share
  • Go To


The boy, believed to be 16, died after he was stabbed in Pimlico, central London, shortly before 7pm last night.



Mohammed Alzubaidi, 49, from nearby Peabody Close, said his friend witnessed a gang of black and white teenagers carrying out the attack.



"He said they were carrying knives, some of them with wide swords. He said the victim was screaming and trying to get away," Mr Alzubaidi said.



He said his friend told him the gang had scattered and run off in different directions.



The fatally injured teenager was found by ambulance staff after emergency services were called to the Lupus Street area following reports that a youth had been stabbed.



He was taken to a south London hospital where he died a few hours later.



A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "A murder inquiry is now under way and an incident room will open in due course under detectives from the Specialist Crime and Operations Directorate.



"We must retain an open mind re the circumstances of the incident and any motive at this early stage."



There has been no arrest.



The murder scene in Lupus Street remained cordoned off today with a number of police present.



The street, close to Pimlico Underground station, is bordered by extensive council estates on one side and is home to Pimlico Academy.



A 58-year-old local resident, who did not want to be named, said there had been two murders in nearby Gloucester Street in recent years and a stabbing of a boy outside a row of shops in Lupus Street before Christmas.



"The violence that has started to occur around here is something else, it is frightening for all the residents," she said.



"You used to be able to walk around at night but I am starting to be very wary, especially at night-time."

Nickie Aiken, Westminster City Council's portfolio holder for community protection, said the murder would be "top of the agenda" at a meeting with Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe this afternoon.



She said: "Once more we have seen the tragic blight that knife culture has inflicted on the capital.



"Our thoughts are with the family of this teenager and we will offer whatever help we can.



"Westminster City Council is committed to keeping the streets safe - including tackling gang culture - and we will work over the coming days and weeks to reassure the community of that."



A 22-year-old resident of a block of flats overlooking the murder scene, who asked not to be named, said: "I came outside just seconds after it happened because I heard a lot of commotion and the victim was shouting.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News