Blatter will stay on until February, insists his daughter
Published 05/10/2015 | 02:30
Sepp Blatter will "definitely not" stay on as president of FIFA after the election of a new leader in February, his daughter said.
His former public relations adviser Klaus Stoehlker said last week that Blatter had not ruled out trying to stay on as head of world soccer beyond the February 26 vote.
But Corinne Blatter-Andenmatten said in an interview published by Swiss newspaper Blick am Sonntag yesterday, there was "no way" he would continue, and at some point he would publish his memoirs.
"I know he wants to quit, and he will do it," she said.
Major football sponsors last Friday issued coordinated calls for the immediate resignation of Blatter, who is being investigated by the Swiss on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.
Blatter, who denies wrongdoing, said through his US lawyer he would not resign as it was not in FIFA's best interest.
The scandals surrounding global soccer exploded in May, when 14 officials and sports marketing executives were indicted on US charges of racketeering, money laundering and fraud in relation to bribery schemes that dated back decades.
February's election was set after Blatter announced in June that he was standing down, just days after winning a fifth term.
Since then, the question of whether Blatter (79) really will quit has hung over FIFA.
Blatter-Andenmatten, who has frequently spoken out to defend her father's reputation, said he had stayed on because the majority of football associations wanted him to, and because "he never runs away when the going gets tough".
She declined to discuss the possibility of her father ending up in jail: "I don't even want to think about it."