Sunday 4 December 2016

Berlusconi puts on a brave face after op

Published 08/03/2011 | 05:00

Silvio Berlusconi following the 2009 attack. Photo: AP
Silvio Berlusconi following the 2009 attack. Photo: AP

Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi has undergone four hours of face surgery to repair damage he suffered when a man hurled a statuette at him in 2009.

  • Go To

The 74-year-old was operated on under general anaesthetic in Milan said a statement yesterday, quoting his personal doctor, Alberto Zangrillo.

Mr Berlusconi suffered a broken nose and two broken teeth when a man hurled a miniature statue of Milan's cathedral at him at the end of a political rally in Milan on December 13, 2009. The attacker had a history of psychological problems.

The operation "became necessary to restore the anatomy and jaw function that had been gravely compromised" in the attack, said the brief statement.

It said the operation involved a bone transplant and an implant.

Mr Berlusconi spent a month out of public view after the attack. Photos of his bloodied face made the front pages of newspapers around the world at the time.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News