Saturday 10 December 2016

Berlusconi: 'I'll put all my women in memoir'

Nick Squires in Rome

Published 25/08/2011 | 05:00

Silvio Berlusconi. Photo: Getty Images
Silvio Berlusconi. Photo: Getty Images

SILVIO Berlusconi has said he may write a memoir in which he will document all his sexual conquests

  • Go To

The 74-year-old Italian prime minister dropped the hint at a recent dinner when the conversation turned to claims made by an Italian footballer in an autobiography that he had slept with 600 women.

"Hats off to him!" Mr Berlusconi said of the claim by Antonio Cassano, an attacker who plays for his team, AC Milan.

"Do you want to know if I have had more women?" Mr Berlusconi, who is on trial accused of paying for sexual relations with a teenage nightclub dancer, asked guests, according to the 'La Stampa' newspaper.

"Well, if you do, I'm not going to tell you. I will write about my encounters in a diary like Mussolini did," said the media tycoon, whose alleged dalliances with young women resulted in his wife of 20 years suing for divorce.

The fascist dictator Benito Mussolini was notorious for his womanising and had several long-running affairs, as well as numerous sexual encounters with female supporters.

Among Mr Berlusconi's guests at the dinner in a restaurant in Milan were Nicole Minetti, an Anglo-Italian former television showgirl who now represents his People of Freedom party in Lombardy's regional parliament.

Along with Emilio Fede, a veteran television presenter on one of the channels owned by Mr Berlusconi, she is accused of procuring prostitutes for so-called 'bunga bunga' sex parties at Mr Berlusconi's mansion outside Milan.

Prosecutors in Milan have requested that Ms Minetti, Mr Fede and a third accused, celebrity talent scout Lele Mora, go on trial for abetting prostitution.

All three deny the charges. Mr Berlusconi also denies that he ever had sexual relations with the teenage dancer, Karima El Mahroug (18), known by her stage name 'Ruby the Heart Stealer'.

Austerity

Mr Berlusconi's trial, in which he is also accused of abuse of office, is due to resume in early October after a long summer adjournment.

Earlier this month, Mr Berlusconi was forced to announce a fresh round of austerity measures after an emergency cabinet meeting.

The €45bn plan aims to balance Italy's budget by 2013, a year earlier than had been planned, by slashing public spending and jobs.

Mr Berlusconi said Italy was not alone in facing the challenge to reduce its debt. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News