Belgians charge three men over terror attacks
Belgian prosecutors yesterday charged three men with terrorist offences over the Brussels bomb attacks and authorities called off a planned 'march against fear' in the jittery capital to relieve pressure on an over-taxed police force.
Belgian media identified one of the men as Faycal Cheffou and said he was the man wearing a hat and a light-coloured jacket in last Tuesday's airport CCTV footage that showed three men pushing baggage trolleys bearing luggage.
The two others are believed to have blown themselves up.
Cheffou was charged with taking part in the activities of a terrorist group and actual and attempted terrorist murder.
The other two charged yesterday, Aboubakar A and Rabah N, were accused of terrorist activities and membership of a terrorist group.
Rabah N was wanted in connection with a related raid in France this week that authorities say foiled an apparent attack plot.
Brussels mayor Yvan Mayeur said that Cheffou, who said he was a freelance journalist, was "dangerous" and that he had been detained a number of times at a park where he sought to encourage asylum seekers camped there to turn to radical extremism.
Authorities also said that a man arrested on Friday after being shot in the leg at a tram stop in Brussels was being held for a further 24 hours. He was identified as Abderamane A and was one of three people arrested on Friday. That operation was linked to the arrest in Paris on Thursday of an Islamist convicted in Belgium last year and suspected of plotting a new attack.