News Europe

Tuesday 2 September 2014

BBC chief apologises to alleged victims

Published 13/10/2012 | 05:00

  • Share

BBC director general George Entwistle (pictured) has offered a "profound and heartfelt apology" to the alleged victims of Jimmy Savile's sexual abuse as he announced that two inquiries would be launched.

  • Share
  • Go To

One will look into whether there were any failings over the handling of an abandoned 'Newsnight' investigation into the late DJ and broadcaster.

A second independent inquiry will look into the "culture and practices of the BBC during the years Jimmy Savile worked here", Mr Entwistle said.

Of that, he said: "It will examine whether that culture and those practices allowed him or others to carry out the sexual abuse of children.

"It will also examine whether the BBC's child protection, whistle-blowing and bullying and harassment policies and practices are now fit for purpose."

Scotland Yard is now pursuing 340 lines of inquiry in the Savile abuse case involving 40 potential victims, the force revealed today.

So far 12 allegations of sexual offences have been officially recorded but this number is increasing, Scotland Yard said.

Mr Entwistle said he wanted to ensure "nothing of this kind could ever happen again at the BBC".

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News