Tuesday 27 September 2016

Backpacks banned at Oktoberfest as fears of terror threat loom

Published 17/08/2016 | 11:23

Bayern's Xabi Alonso, left, and Nagore Aramburo, right, pose for a photograph as the players of FC Bayern Munich visit the Oktoberfest beer festival 2015 at Theresienwiese in Munich, southern Germany, Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2015. (Alexander Hassenstein/pool via AP)
Bayern's Xabi Alonso, left, and Nagore Aramburo, right, pose for a photograph as the players of FC Bayern Munich visit the Oktoberfest beer festival 2015 at Theresienwiese in Munich, southern Germany, Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2015. (Alexander Hassenstein/pool via AP)
Bayern's coach Pep Guardiola, left, and the club's president Karl-Heinz Rummeingge, right, lift a glass of beer as the players of FC Bayern Munich visit the Oktoberfest beer festival 2015 at Theresienwiese in Munich, southern Germany, Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2015. (Alexander Hassenstein/pool via AP)

Munich city officials have banned backpacks from this year's Oktoberfest and plan to erect a fence in an effort to increase security after recent attacks rattled Germany.

  • Go To

Bags of more than three litres in capacity will not be allowed into the annual beer celebration, deputy mayor Josef Schmid said.

The number of security staff at the event, which runs from September 17 to October 3, will also be increased.

A 350-metre fence will be put up to secure a previously open entrance to the festival grounds, Mr Schmid said.

Bavaria was shaken last month by three attacks in a week.

Two were carried out by asylum seekers and claimed by Islamic State. Only the attackers were killed.

In an unrelated attack, a teenager killed nine people in a shooting rampage in Munich.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News