News Europe

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend now says he was NOT with her for the entire evening when Meredith Kercher was killed

Sollecito lawyers say American was ‘not with him the entire evening’

Adam Withnall

Published 01/07/2014 | 16:16

  • Share
Amanda Knox arrives at the set of ABC's "Good Morning America" to be interviewed in New York January 31, 2014. Knox vowed on Friday to fight her second conviction for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher in 2007 while the two were students together in the Italian university town of Perugia. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly (UNITED STATES - Tags: CRIME LAW)
Amanda Knox arrives at the set of ABC's "Good Morning America"

Amanda Knox’s former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito has made a fresh appeal that could undermine her alibi for what happened on the night the British student Meredith Kercher was killed in Italy.

  • Share
  • Go To

In a further bid to distance his defence from that of his former lover, Sollecito told a press conference in Rome that he was unable to say where Knox had been during the early part of the that evening in Perugia.

Raffaele Sollecito denies he was fleeing Italy
Raffaele Sollecito

Lawyers speaking for the Italian said that when he had previously described being with Knox that day he “always meant he spent the night with Amanda”.

“But for the entire first part of the evening, they were not together. It’s this first part of the evening that’s new [to his defence],” his lawyer Giulia Bongiorno was reported as saying.

Amanda Knox

Prior to the press conference, various members of the Italian press had quoted sources in Sollecito’s legal team as saying he had been “home alone that night” or that he was “only sure about the fact that he was at home”, clearly opening up the possibility that Knox was not there.

Also speaking today in Rome, Sollecito said: “I’m not here to change my story; only a crazy person or a criminal would do that.” But he added that he was “not the guarantor of Amanda Knox, I am Raffaele Sollecito”.

The Italian has been seeking to distinguish his role in the case from that of Knox since the pair were once again found guilty of Kercher’s 2007 murder in January this year.

Raffaele Sollecito (L), convicted of killing British student Meredith Kercher in Italy on November 2007, talks with his father Francesco as they leave after attending a retrial session in Florence. Reuters
Raffaele Sollecito (L) talks with his father Francesco as they leave after attending a retrial session in Florence. Reuters

Speaking to CNN in February, he said: “There is nothing against me and nothing very strong against Amanda. And in my case, I really did nothing wrong, and I don't want to pay for someone else's peculiar behaviour.”

Those comments were acknowledged at the time by Knox, who wrote on her Facebook page that Sollecito was a “scapegoat” and that “the only reason he has been dragged into this is because he happens to be my alibi”.

Today, Sollecito said that the Florence appeals court that reconvicted them both had also cited a memo from Knox saying he was not involved. And the 30-year-old cited a text message from Knox that he said similarly backed his claim of innocence.

FILE PHOTOS COMBO - File photos combo shows, from left; Italian student Raffaele Sollecito, slain 21-year-old British woman Meredith Kercher, her American roommate Amanda Knox. Few international criminal cases have cleaved along national biases as that of American student Amanda Knox, awaiting half world away her third Italian court verdict in the 2007 slaying of her British roommate, 21-year-old Meredith Kercher. Whatever is decided this week, the protracted legal battle that has grabbed global headlines and polarized trial-watchers in three nations probably won't end in Florence. With the first two trials producing flip-flop guilty-then-innocent verdicts against Knox and her former Italian boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, the case has produced harshly clashing versions of events. A Florence appeals panel designated by Italy's supreme court to address errors in the appeals acquittal is set to deliberate Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014, with a verdict expected later in the day. (AP Photo/files)
Amanda Knox

He nonetheless stressed that he is still convinced that Knox is also innocent. She is not in Italy, having remained in Seattle to avoid jail.

Earlier this year the Florence court issued a 337-page document saying it was Knox who delivered the fatal knife blow to her 21-year-old roommate Kercher, adding that her wounds indicate multiple aggressors.

In its explanation the appeal court said that a third person convicted of the murder, Rudy Hermann Guede, did not act alone, and cited the nature of the victim's wounds, as well as finger imprints on her body indicating she had been restrained.

Guede was convicted in a separate trial of sexually assaulting and stabbing Ms Kercher. His 16-year sentence - reduced on appeal from 30 years - was upheld in 2010 by Italy's highest court, which also said he had not acted alone.

Independent News Service

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News