All-night Tube row: One union suspends strikes
Published 24/08/2015 | 17:23
Planned strikes by Unite members on London Underground in a row over an all-night Tube service have been suspended.
The union, which represents 400 electrical and maintenance technicians as well as signallers, said it made the decision as a "gesture of goodwill" to allow further talks to be held.
Unite was due to join two 24-hour walkouts from Tuesday and Thursday evenings which would have caused travel chaos in the capital.
Unions are in dispute over pay and shifts for the new service, which is due to start at weekends from September 12.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport union, and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association have yet to announce whether they are also suspending the industrial action.
Unite regional officer Hugh Roberts said: "There are still some remaining sticking points, but we feel sufficient progress has been made to suspend industrial action as an act of goodwill.
"We will continue to approach talks with London Underground in a positive manner. We trust that London Underground management seize this opportunity to reach a deal that fully addresses our members' concerns and secures a successful future for night running on the Tube."
The drivers' union Aslef had already decided not to strike this week.
The four unions involved in the long-running row have held two 24-hour strikes in the last month which closed the Tube network completely, causing travel misery for millions of commuters and tourists.