Monday 24 October 2016

5,000 Liverpool fans in line for multi-million Hillsborough payout

Tom Morgan in London

Published 29/04/2016 | 02:30

A vigil in Liverpool for the victims of Hillsborough. Photo: Getty
A vigil in Liverpool for the victims of Hillsborough. Photo: Getty
The jury at the Hillsborough Inquest delivered their verdict on Tuesday

More than 5,000 Liverpool supporters could be in line for compensation over Hillsborough, it is understood, as two major class actions are reignited against police after the damning inquest verdicts.

  • Go To

South Yorkshire and West Midlands police are facing settlements over the cover-up totalling tens of millions of pounds, according to one of the law firms launching claims. Families of the 96 dead along with thousands of supporters injured or traumatised by the 1989 crush could be in line for payouts upwards of £50,000 (€64,000) each.

David Greene, of Edwin Co, which is leading a class action surrounding events on April 15,1989, believes the two forces could eventually be forced to compensate more than 5,000 supporters.

Saunders Law, a London legal firm, also confirmed it was leading damages action for the Hillsborough Families Support Group over the smear campaign against Liverpool fans.

Saunders Law said in a statement that abuse by the two forces was on an "industrial scale". It added: "The claims concern the cover-up and actions intended to wrongly blame the deceased and Liverpool FC supporters for the tragedy, for which there has still been no proper admission or apology."

The actions come as it emerged a group of retired South Yorkshire Police officers who served in the 1980s have reportedly been told they "did a good job" as the force faces criticism in the wake of the inquests. The former officers were told they had tried to act with dignity while "bile and hatred" had been directed towards the force, which faced "immense challenges" in the 1980s.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News