World News

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Eiffel Tower cleared in bomb scare

Published 31/03/2013|02:41

  • Share
The Eiffel Tower in Paris was evacuated after an anonymous bomb threat

The Eiffel Tower has been evacuated after an anonymous phone caller made a bomb threat.

  • Share
  • Go To

Nearly 1,400 people were cleared from the tourist attraction following a request from tower operators after the warning, a Paris police official said. Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs and set up a security perimeter.

No explosives were found and the site is to be reopened, the official said .

French authorities have stepped up anti-terror measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against al Qaida-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.

The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings - at least once last year and twice in 2011. The 1,063ft tower is one of the world's top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.

Press Association

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in World News