Saturday 29 November 2014

Ebola aid worker 'improving'

Published 06/08/2014 | 10:05

Steve Monroe, deputy director of the National Centre for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases at the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, at the agency's emergency operations centre in Atlanta (AP)
Steve Monroe, deputy director of the National Centre for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases at the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, at the agency's emergency operations centre in Atlanta (AP)

The husband of a second American aid worker recently diagnosed with Ebola has said his wife is weak but showing signs of improvement.

Nancy Writebol's husband David described her as progressing, according to the president of the aid group SIM USA.

Bruce Johnson said he spoke to Mr Writebol, who said his 59-year-old wife stood and got on a plane in Liberia with assistance to head to Atlanta for treatment. When she arrived, she was wheeled on a stretcher.

Mr Writebol, who is still in Liberia, said the family had been considering funeral arrangements but now feel relieved and cautiously optimistic. He praised her treatment in Liberia.

The first American brought back was 33-year-old Dr Kent Brantly.

Press Association

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News