Thursday 19 January 2017

Eagles Of Death Metal frontman apologises for Bataclan security claims

Published 13/03/2016 | 03:56

Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes has apologised
Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes has apologised

Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes has apologised for suggesting that security guards at a Paris concert venue were complicit in the assault by Islamic militants in November that left 89 people dead.

  • Go To

Hughes told the Fox Business Network last week that six guards at the Bataclan venue never came to work on the night of the attack, and "it seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up".

On Friday, Hughes apologised: "I humbly beg forgiveness from the people of France, the staff and security of the Bataclan, my fans, family, friends and anyone else hurt or offended by the absurd accusations I made.

"My suggestions that anyone affiliated with the Bataclan played a role in the events of November 13 are unfounded and baseless - and I take full responsibility for them," he said in a statement.

The band's performance at the Bataclan concert hall was turned into a bloodbath when suicide bombers stormed in as part of near-simultaneous attacks on cafes and a stadium around Paris.

Hughes blamed the lingering effect of the attack for his accusations that the security team may have been in on the attack.

"I've been dealing with non-stop nightmares and struggling through therapy to make sense of this tragedy and insanity. I haven't been myself since November 13," he wrote. "I realise there's no excuse for my words, but for what it's worth: I am sincerely sorry for having hurt, disrespected or accused anyone."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News