Sunday 4 December 2016

Dubai hotel fire on New Year's Eve probably caused by exposed wiring, say police

Published 20/01/2016 | 12:06

The fire burning at the hotel in Dubai (AP)
The fire burning at the hotel in Dubai (AP)

A New Year's Eve fire at a luxury hotel in Dubai was probably caused by exposed wiring, police said.

  • Go To

Photographs taken after the fire showed exposed, unconnected wiring between at least two apartments on the 14th and 15th floors of the building, known as The Address Downtown Dubai, police said.

The blaze at the hotel happened just hours before a fireworks display went ahead nearby at the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

The fire raised new worries about the use of some kinds of aluminium panel cladding on skyscrapers in Dubai and other cities around the world.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News