Sunday 4 December 2016

Debris found in Madagascar and Australia to be analysed by MH370 team

Published 10/06/2016 | 10:31

HMS Echo and a Lockheed P-3 Orion searching the southern Indian Ocean for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight
HMS Echo and a Lockheed P-3 Orion searching the southern Indian Ocean for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight

Debris found washed ashore in Madagascar by a man who previously found a part from Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 will be examined by investigators to see if it also came from the missing plane, officials said.

  • Go To

Blaine Gibson, an American adventurer who has been hunting for Flight MH370 over the past year, contacted the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) to report he had found debris in Madagascar, the agency said in a statement.

Malaysian authorities, who are leading the investigation into the plane's disappearance, have procedures in place to examine any suspected debris, though Australia will help analyse Mr Gibson's discovery if asked, the agency said.

In February, Mr Gibson found debris off the coast of Mozambique that experts later determined came from the missing Boeing 777 that vanished more than two years ago with 239 people on board.

In a separate development, a man found a piece of debris on an island off southern Australia that the transport bureau will examine, said ATSB spokesman Dan O'Malley.

The agency was informed of the find on Thursday and is working with island officials to have the part sent to the ATSB's headquarters, he said.

That piece was found on Kangaroo Island, just off the coast of South Australia state.

Video of the part shows it bears the words "No step" - a phrase that also appeared on the part Mr Gibson found in Mozambique in February.

Several pieces of the plane have washed up over the past year on coastlines around the Indian Ocean.

But officials have had no luck finding the main underwater wreckage despite an extensive search of a vast area of the Indian Ocean off Australia's west coast.

Crews are expected to complete their sweep of the 46,000 square mile area by August, and there are no plans to extend the hunt beyond that.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News