News World News

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Court dismisses Ryan Lochte false robbery report case

Ryan Lochte had claimed in an interview while in Rio at last year's Olympics that he and a group of team-mates had been robbed (Michael Sohn/AP)
Ryan Lochte had claimed in an interview while in Rio at last year's Olympics that he and a group of team-mates had been robbed (Michael Sohn/AP)

A Brazilian court has dismissed the criminal case against US swimmer Ryan Lochte, who had been charged with filing a false robbery report during the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The court in Rio confirmed in a statement this week that it tossed out the case after determining Lochte's robbery claim made to NBC did not constitute the filing of a fake report.

Jeff Ostrow, a US lawyer for Lochte, said in a statement to USA Today they are "pleased" by the decision and the court understood Lochte "committed no crime".

Under Brazilian law, the penalty for filing a false crime report is a maximum of 18 months in prison.

Lochte told NBC last year that he and fellow swimmers Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with police badges as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party on August 15.

Video captured by surveillance cameras showed the athletes getting into a confrontation with security guards at a petrol station when their cab pulled over to let them use the toilet.

The six-time Olympic gold medallist later acknowledged he was intoxicated and his behaviour had led to the confrontation.

Lochte served a 10-month suspension from competition over his behaviour in Rio.

"It's been a long suspension but it's over," he tweeted on July 1. "I've learned and became a better man from it."

Press Association

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in World News