Clinton's email row rumbles on as Republicans press for new investigation
Published 08/07/2016 | 00:41
Republicans are pushing for a new investigation after the FBI said there was no case against Hilary Clinton over her use of a private email account for official business.
Earlier this week, FBI Director James Comey said "no reasonable prosecutor" would pursue a case but said Mrs Clinton had been "extremely careless" with classified information.
Now members of the US House Benghazi committee are meeting on Friday to approve a report on its two-year investigation that found no wrongdoing by the presidential candidate.
Lawmakers may take a fresh look at Mrs Clinton's testimony on the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, that she never sent or received emails marked as classified when she served as secretary of state.
The chairman of the House Government and Oversight Committee, Republican congressman Jason Chaffetz of Utah, said he would refer Mrs Clinton's testimony to the FBI to investigate whether she lied to Congress.
Meanwhile, the US State Department has reopened an internal investigation of possible mishandling of classified information by Mrs Clinton and senior aides.
Spokesman John Kirby said the emails probe is restarting now that the Justice Department is not pursuing a criminal prosecution.
The State Department suspended its review in April to avoid interfering with the FBI's inquiry.
Mr Kirby set no deadline for the investigation's completion.
Mrs Clinton was secretary of state until early 2013, and most of her senior advisers left shortly afterwards,
But Mr Kirby said this week former officials can still face "administrative sanctions". The most serious is loss of security clearances, which could complicate Mrs Clinton's naming of a national security team if she becomes president.
Apart from the Democratic frontrunner, the probe is most likely examining aides Cheryl Mills, Jake Sullivan and Huma Abedin.