Ceasefire in eastern Ukraine holding, says president
Published 01/09/2016 | 12:31
A new ceasefire in eastern Ukraine is holding after months of fighting in which 9,500 people have died, said the Ukrainian president.
Petro Poroshenko said his forces had not seen any fighting for 12 hours.
The parties in the conflict agreed earlier to stop fighting by September 1, which is the first day of school in Ukraine.
The ceasefire reports were backed up by t he rebels' Donetsk News Agency.
Government forces and Russia-backed rebels agreed last year to stop fighting and pull back heavy weaponry.
But the ceasefire failed and international monitors had said the fighting intensified in the past month to nearly a full-blown war.