Caitlyn Jenner: prosecutors review death crash evidence
Published 26/08/2015 | 06:13
Prosecutors in the US have started reviewing evidence and considering whether charges should be filed against celebrity star Caitlyn Jenner in a traffic collision in which a woman died.
The case was being examined by the Los Angeles County district attorney's major crimes division, said Greg Risling, a spokesman for the district attorney's office.
There was no timetable for when prosecutors will decide whether to file charges, he said.
Authorities said Jenner was driving a 4x4 vehicle on February 7 when it slammed into two cars on the Pacific Coast Highway, in California, pushing a Lexus driven by Kim Howe into oncoming traffic.
Howe, 69, died from her injuries. Her stepchildren are suing Jenner, an Olympic gold medallist.
Sheriff's investigators determined that Jenner, 65, was travelling at an unsafe speed for the road conditions at the time and the evidence supports a vehicular manslaughter charge, the department said last week.
The crash occurred before Jenner announced she is transgender and transitioned into her new identity as Caitlyn.
Her attorney, Blair Berk, declined to comment.
Jenner released a statement after the accident expressing sympathies to everyone involved.
"It is a devastating tragedy," the statement said. "I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them."
Jenner was born Bruce Jenner and won an Olympic gold medal for the decathlon in 1976.