Wednesday 7 December 2016

British combat troops to quit Afghanistan by 2014

Ben Farmer in Kabul

Published 19/07/2010 | 05:00

Frontline British troops fighting the Taliban are due to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014, according to Britain's defence secretary, Liam Fox.

  • Go To

The date is a year earlier than the deadline suggested by David Cameron, who said he wanted most troops back by 2015. Dr Fox said that within four years, the Afghan National Army and police should take responsibility for security.

Britain has lost 322 troops since operations began in 2001 and the death toll has risen sharply in the past 18 months. Twenty British soldiers died last month and 13 have died in July.

President Barack Obama has already said he will begin reducing American troop numbers in July 2011. (© The Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News