Brain tumour Ashya, 5, found in Spain with his parents
Published 31/08/2014 | 02:30
The five-year-old boy with a brain tumour who was taken by his parents from hospital against medical advice has been located in Spain.
Ashya King's family took him from Southampton General Hospital on Thursday and travelled on a ferry to France some two hours later.
The seriously ill youngster was in Spain with his parents, Jehovah's Witnesses Brett, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45. A European arrest warrant had been issued for Ashya's parents after Interpol had sent out a missing persons alert to each of its 190 member countries.
However in a video blog posted on YouTube by Ashya's brother Naveed, their father said Ashya was doing well and claimed the family had decided to take him out of hospital to seek a cancer treatment not available on the NHS.
Sitting on a bed with Ashya in his arms, Mr King said: "We were most disturbed today to find that his face is all over the internet and newspapers and we have been labelled as kidnappers putting his life at risk, neglect."
"As you can see there's nothing wrong with him, he is very happy since we took him out of hospital," Mr King said.
Ebola man praises experimental drug
A LIBERIAN health worker who recovered from Ebola after getting an experimental drug urged the manufacturer to speed up its production. Physician's assistant Kyndy Kobbah survived Ebola, which has been fatal in more than half the cases sweeping West Africa.
Ms Kobbah contracted the disease while working at a government-run hospital north of the capital.
Doctors say there is no way to know whether the drug, ZMapp, made a difference, or if Ms Kobbah recovered on her own - as 45pc of people infected in this outbreak have.
1.3 million hit in Africa food crisis
The World Food Programme needs to raise $70m to feed 1.3 million people at risk from shortages in Ebola-quarantined areas in West Africa, with resources already stretched by several major humanitarian crises.
WFP's West Africa director said the organisation was currently providing food for around 150,000 people in Ebola-stricken nations but needed to rapidly scale that up as the worst-ever epidemic of the virus advanced.
Trapped Nicaraguan miners freed
Most of the 24 trapped Nicaraguan gold miners have been freed after a mine collapse, officials said. The miners were slightly dehydrated but otherwise in good health.
It is not known if the remaining miners have yet been locate. Their mine shaft collapsed in heavy rain on Thursday. The mine is near Bonanza, 420km north-east of the capital Managua. The men were reportedly freelance miners not directly employed by a mining company.
Coup claim by Lesotho Prime Minister
Lesotho PMThomas Thabane yesterday accused his country's army of mounting a coup against him and said he had fled to South Africa, but the military denied trying to oust him and said its soldiers had returned to barracks.
Gunfire was heard in Maseru, capital of the mountainous Southern African kingdom encircled by South Africa, and army units occupied police HQ and surrounded the prime minister's residence, residents and diplomats said.
"It is a military coup because it is led by the military. And the military are outside the instructions of the commander-in-chief, who is myself," Thabane said by telephone. "I will return as soon as my life is not in danger," he said.
Badie gets life over Egyptian riots
An Egyptian court sentenced Muslim Brotherhood spiritual leader Mohammed Badie and seven others to life in prison yesterday on charges of planning riots, murder and sabotage.
The case stems from violence that took place last year after the ousting of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, when fighting killed 10 people and injured 20.
The presiding judge also sentenced six Islamists to death in absentia. Under Egyptian law, they will face a retrial once in custody. Badie has been sentenced to death and to life in prison in two other cases but can still appeal.
At least two dead in suicide bombing
A SUICIDE bomber in a truck blew himself up at an intelligence headquarters in eastern Afghanistan yesterday, killing at least two people and setting off an intense firefight with security forces, officials said.
10 die as Houthis attack Yemeni army
At least ten men from local militias and from the Yemeni army were killed yesterday in clashes with Houthi fighters who were trying to seize a road that links the capital Sanaa with oil-rich provinces, local government officials said.
The Houthis have fought against the Yemeni government for years, demanding more power for their Zaydi Shi'ite Muslim sect in the predominantly Sunni country.
Sunday IndependentFollow @Independent_ie