Blaze hits popular Chicago skyscraper
Published 22/11/2015 | 01:41
Five people have been injured in a fire which tore through an apartment in one of Chicago's tallest and most popular skyscrapers.
The blaze broke out about halfway up the iconic John Hancock Centre and f lames and thick smoke poured out of an east side window on the 50th floor.
Authorities said the accidental fire did not spread beyond the apartment, which was gutted, and other residents on the floor would be displaced.
The 99-floor building also has offices, shops and an observation floor popular with tourists.
The fire department said two of the injured were in a good condition and three were stable.
Firefighters conducted floor-by-floor searches to ensure people were safe.