Bill Cosby's sexual battery case delayed
Published 30/03/2016 | 22:16
A Los Angeles judge has delayed Bill Cosby's additional sworn evidence in a California woman's sexual battery lawsuit to give the comedian time to resolve a separate criminal case.
The move comes in a lawsuit by Judy Huth, who accuses Cosby of forcing her to perform a sex act on him in a bedroom of the Playboy Mansion in around 1974 when she was 15.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Craig D Karlan said a temporary delay in the case is justified, but he is concerned about it being put on hold indefinitely. His ruling will allow lawyers to conduct depositions of other potential witnesses, including Playboy founder Hugh Hefner.
Lawyers for Cosby had sought a delay in the lawsuit because the 78-year-old has been charged with sex assault in Pennsylvania. That case is on hold while Cosby appeals a ruling.
Cosby gave his first sworn evidence in the California case last year, but a judge has ordered him to answer additional questions from Ms Huth's lawyer, Gloria Allred.
Cosby's lawyer, Christopher Tayback, said the comedian is trying to resolve the Pennsylvania case quickly.
"My hope is in six months, he's exonerated," Mr Tayback said.
Dozens of women have accused Cosby of sexual abuse, but the statutes of limitations in most instances have passed.
A judge rejected a motion by Cosby's lawyers on Tuesday to dismiss a defamation lawsuit by model Janice Dickinson. Cosby's lawyers say they believe the case should be dismissed and are considering an appeal.