Beach material probed in jet search
Unidentified material that has washed ashore in south-western Australia is being examined for any link to the lost Malaysian plane, authorities have said.
Police secured the material, which washed ashore six miles (10km) east of Augusta in Western Australia state, the search co-ordination centre said in a statement, without describing the material found.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is examining photographs to assess whether further investigation is needed and if the material is relevant to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
Augusta is near Australia's south-western tip, about 190 miles (310km) from Perth, where the search has been headquartered.
Meanwhile, Australia's prime minister said that failure to find any clue in the most likely crash site of the lost jet would not spell the end of the search, as officials plan soon to bring in more powerful sonar equipment that can delve deeper beneath the Indian Ocean.
The search co-ordination centre said a robotic submarine, the US Navy's Bluefin 21, had scanned more than 80% of the 120 square mile (310 square kilometre) seabed search zone off the Australian west coast, creating a three-dimensional sonar map of the ocean floor. Nothing of interest had been found.
The 2.8 mile (4.5km) deep search area is a circle 12 miles (20km) wide around an area where sonar equipment picked up a signal on April 8 consistent with a plane's black boxes. But the batteries powering those signals are now dead.
Defence minister David Johnston said Australia was consulting with Malaysia, China and the United States on the next phase of the search for the plane, which disappeared on March 8. Details on the next phase are likely to be announced next week.
Mr Johnston said more powerful towed side-scan commercial sonar equipment would probably be deployed, similar to the remote-controlled subs that found RMS Titanic 12,500ft (3,800m) under the Atlantic Ocean in 1985 and the Australian Second World War wreck HMAS Sydney in the Indian Ocean off the Australian coast, north of the current search area, in 2008.
He said: "The next phase, I think, is that we step up with potentially a more powerful, more capable side-scan sonar to do deeper water."
While the Bluefin had less than one-fifth of the seabed search area to complete, Mr Johnston estimated that task would take another two weeks.
Australian prime minister Tony Abbott said the airliner's probable impact zone was 430 miles (700km) long and 50 miles (80km) wide. A new search strategy would be adopted if nothing was found in the current seabed search zone.
Mr Abbott said: "If at the end of that period we find nothing, we are not going to abandon the search, we may well rethink the search, but we will not rest until we have done everything we can to solve this mystery."
"We owe it to the families of the 239 people on board, we owe it to the hundreds of millions - indeed billions - of people who travel by air to try to get to the bottom of this.
"The only way we can get to the bottom of this is to keep searching the probable impact zone until we find something or until we have searched it as thoroughly as human ingenuity allows at this time," he said.
The focus of the next search phase will be decided by continuing analysis of information including flight data and sound detections of the suspected beacons, Mr Johnston said.
"A lot of this seabed has not even been hydrographically surveyed before - some of it has - but we're flying blind," he said, adding that the seabed in the vicinity of the search was up to four miles (7km) deep.
The search centre said an air search involving 10 planes was suspended for a second day because of heavy seas and poor visibility.
But 12 ships would join today's search of an expanse covering 14,500 square miles (38,000 square kilometres), centred 1,000 miles (1,600km) north-west of Perth.
Analysis indicates it would have run out of fuel in the remote section of ocean where the search has been focused. Not one piece of debris has been found since the massive multinational hunt began