Tuesday 17 October 2017

Balfour Beatty clinches £193m Miami development contract

Balfour Beatty plans to complete the project by the end of 2019.

Balfour Beatty worker
Balfour Beatty worker

By Kalyeena Makortoff, Press Association City Reporter

Construction firm Balfour Beatty has clinched a $260 million (£193 million) contract to develop a shopping and residential complex in Miami.

The 8.1-acre River Landing Shops and Residences project will feature more than 2 million square feet of retail and housing, including 475 rented apartments and a five-storey shopping centre along the Miami River.

Balfour Beatty said it would start working on the site later this year and employ 750 workers at the height of the project.

Completion is slated for the fourth quarter of 2019.

The FTSE 250 firm won the contract from long-standing client Matthews Southwest, which is working with real estate investment trust H&R Reit and Urbanx Company on the project.

Balfour Beatty chief executive Leo Quinn said: “This transformational development in the heart of Miami builds on Balfour Beatty’s historical and growing relationship with Matthews Southwest as we expand on our presence in the South Florida market.”

Enthusiasm over the contract did not translate into market excitement, however, with shares falling nearly 1% or 2.5p to 266.6p in midday trading.

But the company has been cheered for its turnaround efforts and cost-cutting programme under Mr Quinn, having swung back to profit in the half-year to June 30.

It said in August that pre-tax profit reached £12 million compared with a £15 million loss in the same period a year earlier.

The results came as welcome relief to the firm after it was held back by onerous construction contracts that delivered poor returns last year.

Group revenue increased over 6% to £3.5 billion, despite the firm’s order book falling 4.2% to £11.4 billion, though Balfour put it down to a “disciplined and selective approach to bidding”.

Press Association

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in World News