News World News

Friday 9 December 2016

Baby has chopstick removed from brain

Dean Gray

Published 08/01/2010 | 05:00

THEY say that there can be many a slip between cup and lip but a Chinese toddler still caught doctors on the hop when he was taken to hospital.

  • Go To

Fourteen-month-old Li Jingchao is happily now recovering in hospital after accidentally pushing a chopstick up his nose and into his brain.

The toddler, from the eastern province of Shandong, was playing with the chopsticks when he fell and began crying.

Because local hospitals did not have the technology to safely remove the chopstick, Li's parents made an anxious 10-hour journey north by car to Beijing.

The boy arrived with a high fever and an irregular heartbeat and neurosurgeons were concerned the removal of the chopstick, which was lodged four millimetres into Li's brain, would cause internal haemorrhaging once removed -- possibly producing paralysis or even death.

"Luckily, the removal resulted in little bleeding," a hospital spokesman said.

He said Li's surgeon was perfect for the job since he had experience with surgeries involving chopsticks lodged in eyes, foreheads and necks.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News