Boy (10) survives bite by world's deadliest spider
A 10-year-old boy in Australia was bitten by the world's deadliest spider - a funnel-web - but made an "incredible" recovery after being given the largest dose of antivenom in the nation's history.
Matthew Mitchell started sweating and began to froth at the mouth after he was bitten on his hand by the male spider. He was rushed to hospital and recovered after receiving 12 vials of antivenom, believed to be more than any other bite victim in history.
"I've never heard of it - it's incredible," said Tim Faulkner, a wildlife expert. "And to walk out of hospital a day later with no effects is a testament to the antivenom."
The bite occurred while Mitchell was cleaning a shed with his father at their house north of Sydney. Describing the bite, Mitchell said: "It [the spider] sort of clawed onto me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn't get it off."
Darren Mitchell, the boy's father, said: 'He went from pain in his finger until getting the tingling up his arm...but he stayed conscious the whole time."
Mr Mitchell wrapped his son's shirt around his arm as a tourniquet and drove him to find medical help. (© Daily Telegraph London)